Thursday, July 26, 2012

Dutch Babies (aka German Pancakes)

This is another recipe that's been sitting in my box, waiting to be made. Most people call these German pancakes, but I was looking at one recipe that had a review from a woman who was actually German, and she said true German pancakes would be heavy and fried in oil. These definitely are not, so I'm going with the more fun name of Dutch Babies. This is actually a mix of a couple different recipes, and it worked for us. I ended up cutting it in half since it was just the boys and I (and partially since I've become stingy with eggs since they got so expensive), but it was gone so quickly that I probably should have made the full batch. Sorry for the rushed picture. I had two boys fighting over who was going to smell the pancake.

Printable Recipe

Dutch Babies


4 Tbsp. butter
6 eggs
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
Pinch of salt


Preheat oven to 400.

Place butter in 9 x 13 pan (or 2 round pans) and let melt in oven as it preheats. Do not let the butter brown.

Combine eggs, flour, milk, sugar and salt. Whisk until smooth.

Pour batter into pan and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until middle is set and edges are puffed up and brown.

Serve with syrup, fruit, whipped cream, or powdered sugar & lemon juice. (We did the latter because that's my favorite way to do crepes--you can skip the lemon juice if you want.)

2 comments:

  1. This is a family favorite. I like my mom's namefor it the best. She calls These Popeye Pancakes because they grow just like his muscles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually used part of your mom's recipe (Nicole had sent it to me years ago). I was wondering where the Popeye name came from. :)

      Delete