Saturday, May 26, 2012

Awesome Oatmeal Cookies

I've searched long and hard for the perfect oatmeal cookie recipe. After countless attempts, I think this one is it. While I've never had an oatmeal cookie from Starbucks, I kept running across descriptions that include "cult-following" and "absolute be all end all best oatmeal cookie I had ever tasted", so I knew we had to try it, and this does makes a dang good cookie. Because the Commissary was out of the big box of dark raisins, I had to get the tiny boxes and empty them all out (see what I do for the sake of a picture?). This also taught me that the little boxes are a rip-off. It took all but two of them for my 1/2 cup. Go with the big box.

Printable Recipe


Awesome Oatmeal Cookies


1 stick margarine, softened
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup (granulated) sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup dark raisins (plus more for putting on top)
1/2 cup golden raisins (plus more for putting on top)
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup diced walnuts, optional
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt



Place sugars and margarine in mixing bowl. Mix until well blended.

Add egg and cinnamon, and mix again.

In separate bowl, place all remaining ingredients.

Stir with a spoon and dump into mixing bowl with wet ingredients. Mix until well blended.

Spoon by heaping tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheets.

Top with a few additional raisins of each color.

Bake at 350 for twelve to fifteen minutes until the edges are lightly browned.

Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before removing from cookie sheets and cooling completely.

Makes about 2 dozen

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I want some right now. P.S. Are you just now figuring out that the little boxes of raisins are a rip off?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, no! I just didn't realize that it was quite so bad! Seriously, 1/2 a cup? I can put raisins in a little baggie for that price difference.

      Delete