Thursday, May 17, 2012

Bacon Ranch Slowcooker Chicken

Our house is divided. When Anthony and I started dating, I was introduced to Elegant Chicken (coming soon) at Sunday dinners with his family. One of my favorites! And then a few months ago, I ran across this recipe. It is a similar idea, and even though the ingredients are different, it seems like the same family, like their cousin recipes--sour cream instead of cream cheese, Ranch dressing instead of Italian, etc. So I thought I'd try it. But then came the problem--Anthony has declared this better than Elegant Chicken, and while I definitely enjoyed this one, I still prefer the other. I'll let you make the final decision for your home, and I hope I don't cause too much contention.

Some people say the Ranch is a little strong, or it's too salty, and they used only part of the package. I was fine with the whole thing, but you might need to experiment. I also used regular sour cream. Fat-free has a tendency to become chunky when I cook with it, especially in recipes like this where it cooks for an extended period, and it changes the consistency. If you make the switch back too, just adjust the calories (which is still pretty low even with regular sour cream).

Printable Recipe

Bacon Ranch Slowcooker Chicken


2 turkey bacon strips, cooked and shredded
1 tsp minced garlic
1 package Ranch dressing mix
1 10.75 oz can condensed cream of chicken soup (98% fat free)
1 cup fat-free sour cream
16 oz. chicken breasts, frozen or defrosted/raw
8 oz. pasta (I used rigatoni), cooked

Combine the first five ingredients.

Place frozen or defrosted/raw chicken in slowcooker sprayed with nonstick cooking spray and pour sauce over the top.

Cook on high for 3.5 hours. Shred chicken with two forks.

Cook pasta per package instructions on stove.

Serve chicken over pasta.

Nutritional Information: 456 calories, 61 carbs, 5 fat grams and 36 protein grams (according to the original author)

Makes 4 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment