Friday, May 25, 2012

Chicken & Salsa

One of our favorite older shows is Seinfeld, and in my opinion, the best character is Elaine's on-again, off-again boyfriend Puddy. And the best episode is "The Face Painter" where Puddy asks, "How come people don't have dip for dinner? Why is it only a snack? Why can't it be a meal, you know?" So every time we have this, that's what I'm thinking. Dip CAN be a meal.

This is another one of those "trust me" recipes. Why is it that so many of my favorites just don't come across in the pictures? This one really is so, so good. I always thought of it as a meal that wasn't that great for you, but when I broke it down, it's not as bad as I thought. Salsa is pretty good for you, and since it makes a lot of servings, there isn't a whole lot of cream cheese in each serving. And if you get baked tortilla chips, even better!

There are two rules though: you need to make this a day ahead of time and let it sit in the fridge (it tastes so much better after it's been allowed to marinate together) and you have to use corn and black bean salsa. Okay, they both might just be my preferences, but I've made this so many times that I should know, right? The absolute best brand of salsa is the Meijer brand (if you live in the Midwest), or the Kroger Private Selection brand (I know it's available at Fred Meyer, and there are lots of Kroger chains under different names that probably carry it).

Printable Recipe

Chicken & Salsa


2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, frozen or fresh
1 jar (24 oz) corn and black bean salsa
12 oz. cream cheese
Tortilla chips


Place chicken in crock pot.

Pour salsa over top.

Cook on high 4 hours.

Remove chicken and shred.

Add cream cheese to salsa and mix until combined; add chicken to mixture.

Store for one day in refrigerator, then serve. May be served either cold or warm with tortilla chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment