Monday, May 28, 2012

Caramel S'more Bars

When I saw this a few days ago, I already had everything planned out that I was taking to the barbecue on Memorial Day. But I'm pretty susceptible to the powers of suggestion, so when I read that these bars would make our get together "spectacular", I had to agree. And it doesn't hurt that I LOVE S'mores. Which means I'm having a love affair with these bars. Wish I could share them with you all, but you'll just have to whip up your own!

The only thing I had an issue with was the caramel sauce. I had to let it boil a little longer than this says because it was still pretty liquidy (I had already added the vanilla and salt, and was letting it cool, but it wasn't setting up). For some reason, there are issues anytime I make a recipe from someone in Utah. I'm guessing there's some kind of climate difference that I'm not taking into account. Or that it's been raining. Anybody have a degree in food chemistry? I'm leaving the recipe the same, but you might have to add a couple extra minutes of boiling.

Printable Recipe


Caramel S'more Bars


Prep. Time: 10 min.  Bake Time: 13 mins

 14 whole graham crackers (about 1 1/2 packages)
1 (12 ounce) package milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
5 cups mini marshmallows
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
dash salt


Preheat oven to 350.

Place a Silpat or parchment paper on a large cookie sheet.

Break each graham cracker in half and lay it out on the pan. Don't worry if the edges of the crackers don't all touch; the caramel will help to bind them together.

Spread the chocolate chips out evenly over the crackers and sprinkle them with the chopped pecans.

Toss the mini marshmallows evenly over the top of the chocolate.

Place butter and brown sugar in a medium sized sauce pan.

Heat it on the stove over medium high heat, stirring occasionally.

Once the mixture starts to boil and the ingredients have combined well and are no longer separated, remove the pan from the heat, and stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla and a dash of salt. (You might need to boil it a little longer and then allow to cool just a bit so it can set up).

Drizzle the caramel all over the top of the marshmallows.

Bake at 350 for 12-13 minutes. You want to watch for the marshmallows to puff up and get golden brown along the tops.

Remove the pan from the oven and let the bars cool completely before cutting. They are much easier to cut if the chocolate and caramel has had time to set up.

After the bars have come to room temperature, you can put the pan in the fridge for 10 minutes or so for the chocolate to set up, or if you'd like them a little more gooey, skip the refrigeration and eat them as is.

Makes 30 to 40 bars.

1 comment: