Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Grilled Italian Sausage and Portabellas with Creamy Bow Ties

Quick, easy and delicious. I love using Johnsonville sweet Italian sausage (and I even sneak in that fifth sausage). But I have to admit that I have never used portabellas. I haven't been able to bring myself to pay that much money for fungus, especially when I'm already doing the unthinkable and using jarred Alfredo sauce. If anyone can give me a valid reason to do so, such as, "You will dance on the rooftops from the amazing flavor of portabellas," I'll think about it. You are welcome to do as you see fit.


Printable Recipe

Grilled Italian Sausage and Portabellas with Creamy Bow Ties

12 oz. Bow Ties
3 portabella mushrooms or 8 oz white mushrooms
4 mild Italian sausage links
(1/4 cup olive oil, extra virgin--if using portabellas)
2 tsp black pepper, divided
2 cups Alfredo sauce, jarred
3/4 cup Parmesan or Asiago cheese, shredded


If you are using regular old mushrooms, clean them, slice them, and then saute them in about a tablespoon of butter. (*As a side note, I remember reading somewhere that you aren't supposed to wash mushrooms because some varieties soak up the water like a sponge. I usually take a damp paper towel and wipe them off.*)

Season the mushrooms with 1 tsp. black pepper--this tastes infinitely better if you use freshly ground peppercorns. We just get the McCormick black pepper grinder in the spice section. Invest.

If you are using portabellas, clean them, and lightly brush olive oil on both sides. Season them with the black pepper as mentioned, and then grill them alongside the sausage links.

Preheat the grill to medium high heat--I use my George Foreman grill. Place the sausage on the grill.

While the sausage is cooking, prepare the bow ties as directed. Drain, and set aside.

Again, if using portabellas, grill the mushrooms for about 2 minutes on each side and remove from heat. Slice.

Grill the sausage until cooked and evenly browned on all sides. Remove from the heat and allow them to rest 5 minutes before slicing.

Mix the pasta with the Alfredo sauce and the remaining cracked black pepper in a saucepan over medium heat.

When warm, add the mushrooms and sliced sausage and stir gently. Garnish with Parmesan cheese. 


Makes 4 servings

1 comment: