Sunday, February 26, 2012

Sesame Chicken

This is by far my favorite recipe (okay, it's a tie with my Chicken Pot Pie recipe, but that's because they're both so amazing). Super easy and delicious! I believe I found it through foodgawker.com. It has just a bit of a kick to it from the red pepper flakes, but it's not really hot or spicy. I made it the first time, and four days later, I made it again. And I never do that. You've got to try this one!

*Updates*

I've made a few changes to this recipe:

I usually use frozen chicken breast, and if you do too, it's best if you get the chicken ready to go a few hours ahead of time. There is a lot of juice/water that needs to drain out of the chicken, and if you defrost and chop the chicken immediately before tossing it with the spices, you're more likely to have gummy chicken instead of a nice coating. Defrost the chicken, cube it, put it in the fridge and drain the juice every so often until you're ready to use it.

The recipe said to place all of the spices for the coating into a plastic bag, but sometimes the flour sticks more to the bag than the chicken. I like putting everything in a large plastic container with a lid and shaking it around in that. It seems to coat the chicken better.

And finally, make sure you do cook the chicken in two batches. You never want to overload your wok. If you're using a skillet, you probably are okay to do it in one batch, but I haven't tried it that way, so I can't promise anything.


Printable Recipe

  Sesame Chicken

from http://www.letsdishrecipes.com



5 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into chunks
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Dash of ground cloves
Dash of ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/3 cup teriyaki sauce
1/3 cup honey
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
Rice, prepared (about 4-5 cups)


In a large plastic container with a lid (or a large resealable plastic bag), combine flour, black pepper, ground ginger, garlic salt, red pepper flakes, cloves, and cinnamon.

Place chicken into the container, cover, and shake to coat.

In a small bowl, stir together teriyaki sauce, honey and soy sauce. Set aside. (If you use a rice cooker for your rice, this is when I start mine. It's done right about the time the chicken is finished.)

Heat oil in a wok (or large skillet) over medium-high heat.

Place half of the chicken into wok, and brown on both sides, about 5 minutes.

Remove to a plate (try to leave as much oil as you can in the wok), and repeat process with remaining chicken--you may need to add another tbsp. of oil before adding the chicken.

When the second batch is finished cooking, return all of the chicken to the wok. Reduce heat to low.

Mix in teriyaki and honey mixture and stir until sauce thickens.

Remove from heat.

Stir in sesame seeds and serve immediately over rice.

Serve with: Egg rolls

2 comments:

  1. Maybe the reason I never like my sesame chicken is it doesn't have the flour...hmmm...wonder if that makes all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably. The flour is pretty important to getting them the right...hmm, I don't know the right word. Not texture. But I don't think a substitution would work nearly as well. You can't use a rice flour or anything? (Although I've never used the other flours, so I have no idea how they cook.) You're just going to have to make this for the adults then. :)

      Delete