Friday, April 13, 2012

Creamy Ham & Corn Chowder

My friend Dawn (who shares my love of Our Best Bites) made this for us a few months ago, and I've been dreaming of Easter ham leftovers ever since just so I could make it. I actually don't really enjoy straight-up ham, but I get super excited about all of the things I can make with leftovers! Am I the only one?

This is a wonderful chowder that actually is pretty good for you (they claimed it was only 3 Weight Watcher points, although I'm guessing that's without any cheese or bacon). When I looked up the recipe, it was just corn chowder, but Dawn added the ham in her version, and I had to do the same! I only did about a quarter of an onion and took out the hot sauce altogether. If you want to add it back in, it was just a few dashes along with the salt. I actually doubled the recipe for us because it didn't seem like quite enough, and I wanted to have leftovers. Just add a slice (or two, or three) of fresh bread on the side, and you're good to go!

I had to share this clip because anytime I think of a soup with ham in it, this comes to mind. Sure do miss this show!




Printable Recipe

Creamy Ham & Corn Chowder



1/2 lb. bacon (optional, but so good!)
2 Tbsp. butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup water
2 1/2 cups milk (I used skim, and it turned out really well)
2 regular-sized chicken bouillon cubes, 1 Knorr chicken bouillon cube, or 2 tsp. chicken base
1 small onion, minced
2 large red potatoes, diced into small cubes
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup ham, cooked and diced
1 can corn, drained or about 1 1/2 cup frozen corn
Salt and pepper to taste
Cheddar cheese, shredded (optional, but again, it sure did complement the soup)


Fry bacon until crisp. Crumble and set aside.

While bacon is cooking, melt butter over low heat in a large pot. When melted, add flour and whisk until it comes together.

Add water and whisk until completely combined and there are no lumps.

Add milk and chicken base or bouillon and bring to a simmer.

Add potatoes, onions, and garlic, and simmer (but don’t boil!), stirring very frequently, for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Add ham and corn and heat through. Salt to taste. Start with about 1/4 tsp., give it a few minutes, and then add more if you need it.

Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with bacon and/or cheese if desired.


Serves 4-6.

Serve with: Fresh baked bread (I made a loaf of Rhodes White Bread because I had some leftover from the Braided Spaghetti Bread, but I think something with a crispier crust would have been even better)

Freezer Meal: This can be frozen after it's prepared. Just thaw and heat through.

2 comments: