Thursday, April 12, 2012

Garlic Pepper Oven Fries

I've looked long and hard for a good french fry recipe that didn't involve frying. Or baking them in lots of oil in a very hot oven (isn't that basically frying?!). We've tried several that are good, but when I ask, "Is it better than the garlic pepper fries?", it's always an emphatic, "No!" The original recipe on Our Best Bites gave two versions of seasoning. We've always done the garlic pepper, so I can't vouch for the "Original Recipe Fries." Supposedly the Garlic Pepper gets a little crispier on the outside, and that's a "must" for me for french fries, and one of the hardest things to come by in oven fries. We love the flavor, and it has just enough crispiness to keep me happy.

As a side note, can I tell you how much I love my brand new french fry cutter from Pampered Chef? I LOVE IT!!! It cut so much off the prep time for me. Have I mentioned that I have three little boys 4 and under? So making anything involves about one minute of work and five minutes of distraction. Chopping four potatoes can take me thirty minutes sometimes. Any extra help I can get is wonderful. But I'm keeping the recipe as-is, so what you end up with will actually be steak fries instead of the shoestring version you see pictured. Unless you're lucky enough to have your own french fry cutter too, and then you can choose which way to make them. Either way is awesome. If I do steak fries, I usually do one or two more potatoes, so there's enough to go around.

Printable Recipe

Garlic Pepper Oven Fries


4 medium Russet potatoes, washed
2 Tbsp. olive oil

Then choose your Flavor:

For Garlic Pepper Fries:

1/2 tsp. freshly-ground black pepper
2 1/4 tsp. garlic salt
1/4 tsp. parsley

For Original Recipe Fries:

1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. Kosher salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper


Preheat oven to 400. Mix spices in a medium bowl. Add olive oil and combine well.

Cut potatoes into 8 wedges each.
Add potato wedges to seasonings and toss to coat.

Lightly crumple some aluminum foil and place on a baking sheet. Spray with cooking spray and then arrange potato wedges on foil. (helps with clean-up and even baking)

Bake at 400 for about 40 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. They definitely are! And less prep time than others. One recipe even had me soak the potatoes before cooking. Bah. Who has time for all of that?

      Delete