Monday, April 16, 2012

Orzo Pilaf

You may have noticed, but sides aren't my forte. I usually spend my time on the main course, and at the end I'm scrambling for something to go with it. This is one of my favorites because it's a little different, not my standard potatoes or rice. I had to make just a few small changes. I didn't have any green onions, so I used a bit of diced yellow onion, and it worked fine. The main change was the garlic. If you ever see a recipe that calls for sauteeing garlic for an extended period of time, usually with other base ingredients (like onions or carrots), don't do it! Garlic will burn long before the other items are soft. After everything is sauteed, add the garlic in for another 30 seconds or so, but no more than a minute.

Printable Recipe

Orzo Pilaf



1 tbsp. butter or margarine
4 green onions, sliced (or 1/4 yellow onion, diced)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup orzo
2 cups chicken broth
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 teaspoon dried parsley
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste


In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.

Add onion and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic once the onions are soft, and saute 30 seconds.

Stir in orzo. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, until liquid is absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes.

Add cheese, parsley, and salt and pepper. Cook until cheese is melted, stirring once, about 5 minutes longer. Serve immediately.

Serves 4 to 6.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm...not the peas, but the Orzo. I appreciate your tip about the garlic. I will definitely use it.

    ReplyDelete