Sunday, April 1, 2012

Italian Beef

I received this recipe from my dear friend Evelyn when we worked together at an insurance office. She was the same age as my grandmother, but I could talk to her about anything. One thing we shared was our love of cooking. I had never had Italian Beef, but Anthony told me when we were first married how much he loved it, and I came across this recipe that I'd received from Evelyn several years before. I used to just throw all the ingredients in the crock pot and serve it the same day, and while it was good, it didn't have as much flavor as we wanted. Making it the day before and letting it marinate really made the difference! For the sandwich rolls, we use traditional French rolls, but I don't know if they're available at every store--any kind of Hoagie roll should work. Right before we had these last time, the thought occurred to me that this might be really good with Provolone also. We haven't tried it yet, but I'll update when we do!

Printable Recipe

Italian Beef


1 (3-5 lb.) rump roast
2-3 cups beef broth
1 tsp marjoram
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp oregano
1 Tbsp hot sauce (optional--I don't usually add it in)
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 clove garlic
Salt & pepper
1/2 cup green pepper, sliced (optional)
Sandwich rolls

Place roast and beef broth in crock pot. Cook 6-8 hours on low heat.

Remove meat from drippings and add other ingredients. Simmer on high with lid on for 20 minutes.

Shred beef, place back in crock pot, and marinate overnight.

Before serving, heat through in crock pot (about half an hour on high).

Serve on sandwich rolls.


This beef freezes wonderfully, so it makes a great freezer meal to set aside for later use.

Serve with: Tater tots, carrot sticks

1 comment:

  1. Love Italian beef. It's one that Amy introduced me to. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete