Friday, March 9, 2012

60 Minute Rolls

I am about to give you an amazing gift. Ready? Who doesn't love homemade rolls? I know, I know, they take forever: kneading, rising, rising again, forming them, rising again, etc. But what I am about to share with you is a recipe that can even be made on a weeknight. Don't believe me? When I came across this recipe on The Mother Huddle, I thought it was too good to be true. Rolls in an hour? Never. And yet, they worked, and they were amazing! Okay, it is just a few more than 60 minutes from measuring the flour to putting them on the table, but it's really, really close. Like any new recipe, it might take you just a little longer the first few times as you get used to it, but soon you'll be churning these out like a pro.

Supposedly this makes 20 to 24, but our family is used to rolls the size of a softball, so I usually get about 12 rolls. If you're looking to feed a larger crowd, make sure you make them normal size. These are great for holidays, special occasions, Wednesdays, whenever. They go perfectly with the Beef Stew that I'll be posting in a few days. And with homemade honey butter, which I'll also post later, all I can say is, "Wow!"

After making them numerous times, I just realized that you should use the rapid rise (Bread Machine) yeast for best results. It was all an accident. I grabbed a jar out of the fridge and threw the yeast in the bowl. It wasn't until we sat down to dinner and we realized they were even more amazing this time that I thought to check. Regular yeast works, and the rolls will be great, just a bit more dense than with rapid rise.

Printable Recipe

60 Minute Rolls


4-5 cups flour (can use a cup or two of wheat flour)
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp Rapid Rise yeast
1 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 tsp salt


Mix 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar and yeast. 

Heat milk, water, and butter until very warm (about 110°).

Add warm liquid to dry ingredients and mix on medium speed for two minutes. 

Add 1/4 cup flour and 1 tsp salt. Mix for two more minutes. 

Continue adding the rest of the flour until a stiff dough forms. 

Knead on a lightly floured surface or in your mixer for 2-3 minutes.

Place in greased bowl and let rise for 15 minutes (I turn the oven to 200° while I am mixing up the dough, then turn it off once it's preheated and put my dough, in an oven-safe bowl, for about 10 minutes to rise.). 

Punch down and form dough into 20-24 small dough balls and place on baking sheet.

Let rise 15 minutes. 

Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. They look yummy.. like Texas Roadhouse rolls!!! :)

    PS.. I really like the idea of you planning my meal.. you know.. the beef stew, rolls, and butter!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's crazy that rolls only have that many ingredients and they taste so good.

    ReplyDelete