Sunday, March 18, 2012

Lasagna

This is the best lasagna recipe I've ever made. Technically, it's the only lasagna I've ever made, but when you find something that works, why look anywhere else? It's delicious and easy (as easy as lasagna gets, and we won't even mention certain frozen brands). You don't have to boil the noodles beforehand, and don't even bother with the no-boil lasagna noodles. They don't taste as good, and they're unnecessary. My first roommate in college, Jacqie, made this as one of our first meals together. She used to sing "Sauce, noodles, cottage cheese, cheese, (repeat), sauce, cheese." I know it sounds silly, but I still sing that every time I make it. This was also the first meal I made for my husband when we started dating. When I asked him how it was, he told me, "I'm choking it down." Honestly, he's lucky he got another date. Or meal. But, enough background, let's get to it!

(Since the sauce has a tomato base, it's great for hiding vegetable purees, or mix some fresh spinach into the cottage cheese.)

(Last thing, I promise! I'm not a big fan of cottage cheese--and by that I mean I wouldn't touch it unless my life depended on it, and even then it would be a struggle. But it really works in this recipe as a milder alternative to ricotta.)

Printable Recipe

Lasagna


Prep. Time: 30 mins    Bake Time: 1 hour

1 lb. ground beef
1 jar (28 oz.) spaghetti sauce
8 oz. pkg. lasagna noodles
1 container (16 oz.) cottage cheese
1 egg
3-4 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Brown ground beef in large skillet: drain. Add spaghetti sauce.

Stir egg into cottage cheese.

In a 13x9-inch baking dish, place a thin layer of sauce, followed by a layer of lasagna noodles.

Spread half of the cottage cheese over the noodles, making sure to cover the noodles completely.

Then layer with 1/3 of the mozzarella.

Repeat layers.

Place remaining sauce on top.

Bake at 350 for 45 mins.

Add remaining mozzarella and bake for an additional 15 minutes.

Makes 9-12 servings.

Serve with: Salad, Garlic Bread

2 comments:

  1. Kevin totally choked down tater-tot casserole when I made it for him when we were dating. Now he begs for it. Wonder if it's their way of playing hard to get.

    ReplyDelete