Sunday, March 25, 2012

Baked Potato Soup

I have always loved potatoes--mashed, baked, scalloped, fried. Yum! One of my favorite ways to eat them is in this Baked Potato Soup. I've seen multiple similar recipes, and I tweaked this one to come out exactly the way I like it. I based mine off of a recipe from The Cooking Photographer. Just thinking about it makes me want to make another batch. Delicious! Sometimes I like to make the 60 minute rolls along with it (hello, Carb City!). And this one is perfect to use with purees--I love putting in cauliflower and carrots (squash also works well, and sometimes I add all three). They give it a great flavor without being obvious that they are there. And making this soup healthier helps me feel a little less guilty about serving it.

Printable Recipe

Baked Potato Soup
from The Cooking Photographer



2/3 cup butter or margarine
2/3 cup all-purpose flour (I use 1/3 c. white and 1/3 c. wheat)
7 cups milk (whole works best, but I usually do 2%, and I don't notice the difference, except in my pants size)
6 large baking potatoes, baked, peeled and cubed (microwaving is completely fine)
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (you can add more if you like it a little cheesier)
1/2 - 1 cup sour cream (I like less, Anthony likes more, so I taste as I go along--each batch is different)
1 teaspoon dried parsley
¾ teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
½ teaspoon pepper, plus more for seasoning
Garlic powder, to taste
Onion powder, to taste
8-12 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled


In a large pot, melt the butter. Stir in flour; heat on medium and stir until smooth.

Gradually add milk, stirring until thickened. Be careful not to burn on the bottom of the pan.

Add potatoes. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.

Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes.

Add cheese, sour cream, parsley, salt and pepper; stir until cheese is melted.

Season to taste with onion powder, garlic powder, and extra parsley, salt, and pepper. Serve immediately and top each serving with crumbled bacon.

Makes 8 to 10 servings.

Serve with: Rolls

2 comments:

  1. Tried this tonight. I added some celery seed and fresh nutmeg. Then I added more cheese and less sour cream and used dried onions. I only had skim milk so used 5 cups skim and 2 cups half and half. Oh my it was good :) Thanks again Laura this is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds so good! I'm curious now about the nutmeg! I'll have to try that. We don't use onions so much up here because they have an off taste. I think it's because most of the produce is older by the time it gets shipped up here. I bet dried onions would help out the flavor for us. Glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete