Thursday, March 8, 2012

Italian Pasta Bake

We make this pasta bake at least once a month because: a) it's that good, b) it's super easy, and c) the ingredients are things I usually have on hand. I like to keep them around for when I get that last minute phone call asking me to take a meal to someone since it's very portable and they can actually do the final baking on their own, so it's ready whenever they are. I found it years ago (although I can't remember where), and it's become a staple. This is another one that's great for adding extra vegetables with purees, since it has a tomato sauce base. Technically, the original recipe said to use either sausage or ground beef, but we tried it with the ground beef, and in my opinion, it was only so-so, whereas the sausage kicks it up a notch. I was tempted to just take out the ground beef and not give you an option, but I relented. Do what you want, but you know what I would say!

Printable Recipe

Italian Pasta Bake


1 lb. Italian sausage or ground beef
1 box mostaccioli or penne
1 jar (28 oz) spaghetti sauce
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded

Brown meat in large skillet; drain.

While meat is browning, cook pasta according to package directions; drain.

Stir in meat, spaghetti sauce and 1/2 Parmesan cheese. Spoon into 13x9-inch baking dish.

Top with mozzarella cheese and remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.

Bake at 375 for 20 minutes.

Makes 6-8 servings.

Serve with: Salad or Green Beans, Garlic Bread


I've also made this one ahead of time as a freezer meal, and it came out pretty well. I don't know if you can keep it frozen for a long time and still have the noodles turn out okay, but it worked when I made it a couple weeks later.

1 comment:

  1. Did I mention I was hungry? Why am I torturing myself reading about all the yummy food you guys eat. Seriously!

    ReplyDelete