Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Poppy Seed Chicken

This one is a great casserole dish (which means it photographs terribly). I originally got the recipe from a church cookbook, but it was one of those recipes where some of the steps have been forgotten, so I had to make a few changes. For some reason, I always thought I needed to melt the butter, but the crackers stay a lot crisper (more crisp?) if you don't. It works better if you mash up the butter in the bowl, and then add the other ingredients. The original recipe also said to put the chicken into the casserole raw and to cook everything for an hour. While you can do that, and it's fine, to us it has a "different" taste. I can't put my finger on it, but the cracker crumbs just taste a little off, like you can tell they were cooked with raw chicken. I really prefer baking the chicken separately. It doesn't really change the prep or cooking time because you're able to cut way back on the final bake, and you're not left wondering if it is truly cooked in the middle.

I was all set to try cauliflower puree in this, but I forgot to add it in at the last minute. I am 90% positive you could mix it in with the creams, and it would work.

Printable Recipe

Poppy Seed Chicken


3-4 boneless chicken breasts (I normally do 3--the original called for 6, but that's WAY too much)
Olive Oil

Salt & Pepper
2 sleeves Ritz Crackers, finely crushed
1 stick margarine or butter
2 Tbsp. poppy seeds
1 can cream of chicken soup
8 ounces sour cream


Place chicken breasts onto baking sheet.


Rub with a small amount of olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.

Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes, or until done.

After chicken has cooled slightly, cut into cubes and set aside.


Combine crushed crackers, butter and poppy seeds.


Layer 1/2 of the cracker mixture on bottom of 9 x 13 baking dish.

Add cubed chicken.

Stir together the soup and sour cream, and pour over the chicken.


Layer with remaining cracker mixture.

Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes, or until it is warmed through and crackers are lightly browned.

Makes 6 servings.

Serve with: Mixed Vegetables

No comments:

Post a Comment